News & Publications
- Cleary Gottlieb ranked second on Building a Better Legal Profession's Diversity Report Card.
- Cleary Gottlieb ranked seventh in LGBT Diversity and tenth in Diversity for Minorities on the Vault's 2013 "Best Law Firms for Diversity" lists.
- Cleary Gottlieb received the firm award for “Best International Firm Latin America Practice” for the second consecutive year and Kim Blacklow received the individual award for the category of Real Estate at the Euromoney Legal Media Group’s inaugural Americas Women in Business Law Awards 2013.
- Cleary Gottlieb was the recipient of The Coca-Cola Company’s 2011 “Living the Values” award, recognizing the U.S. partner law firm which best demonstrates its commitment to diversity with creative and innovative solutions that align with The Coca-Cola Company’s diversity values.
- The InterLaw Diversity Forum for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Networks and Stonewall - a British lesbian, gay, and bisexual (LGB) rights organization - placed Cleary Gottlieb in the Legal Sector Top 10, showcasing the UK legal sector's top performers in the most recent Stonewall Workplace Equality Index.
- MultiCultural Law Magazine championed Cleary Gottlieb’s diversity in its 2012 rankings, naming our firm a Top 100 Law Firm for Diversity, Top 100 Law Firm for Women, Top 50 Law Firm for Diversity Among Associates, Top 50 Law Firm for Diversity Among Partners, Top 25 Law Firm for African-Americans and Top 25 Law Firm for Hispanic-Americans.
- Cleary Gottlieb ranked third on the Black Solicitor's Network "Diversity League Table" for the number of the firm's black and ethnic minority partners.
- Robin Bergen was recognized in the inaugural and current/second edition of Benchmark Litigation's Top 250 Women in Litigation, based on the selection of clients and peers.
- Katherine Mooney Carroll received the "Finance Up and Coming Lawyer of the Year" award at the Chambers USA Women in Law Awards 2013. In addition, Francesca Odell was nominated as "Finance Lawyer of the Year."
- Cleary Gottlieb received the inaugural award for “Best Gender Diversity Initiative” in the International Law Firm Category from Chambers Latin America Women in Law Awards 2012.
- Lisa Schweitzer was named a “Dealmaker of the Year” by The American Lawyer in 2012 for her role representing Nortel as U.S. Debtors’ counsel in the company’s ground-breaking $4.5 billion sale of its patents via bankruptcy auction. Ms. Schweitzer and Paul Shim were selected as "Dealmakers in the Spotlight" by The American Lawyer in September 2011.
- Chantal Kordula was named Energy/Projects Up & Coming Lawyer of the Year at the inaugural Chambers USA Women in Law Awards in February 2012. She was also honored on the National Law Journal's Minority 40 Under 40 list in October 2011, as a "Dealmaker of the Week" by The American Lawyer in November 2010, and as a "Rising Legal Star" in the April 2010 issue of Law360, one of only 10 lawyers selected for corporate finance.
- Vania Petrella was included in Italian women’s magazine A’s feature on the top 50 professional women in Italy in February 2012, published in cooperation with Valore D, an Italian association of female professionals whose goal is to increase the number of women in top management roles.
- Cleary Gottlieb was recognized for its involvement with Washington Irving High School and its recruiting practices in the March 31, 2011 issue of Diverse Issues in Higher Education. The article reported on the current job market for recent law school graduates as well as law firm recruiting practices and diversity initiatives. Jorge Juantorena and Arthur Kohn were quoted in the article.
- Cleary Gottlieb was lauded by Italia Oggi for its alternate work schedule system that provides mothers and fathers ample time for both their professional and family commitments. The article explains the firm's reduced work schedule programs and notes that diversity and inclusion are among the founding principles of Cleary Gottlieb.
- Leah Brannon was named “Lawyer of the Year-40 and Under” at the Global Competition Review’s 2013 Awards and was also named among the most talented competition lawyers in their "40 Under 40" 2012 survey. She was also recognized as one of Law360’s Rising Legal Stars in its March 2010 issue, one of only 10 lawyers selected for antitrust/competition.
- The American Lawyer ranked Cleary Gottlieb third in its 2009 Women in Law Firms study, and noted that the firm was one of only four firms ranked in the top tier of this study and the top tier of Minority Law Journal’s Diversity Scorecard.
- Romina Polley was profiled in a feature about women in antitrust in Global Competition Review’s May 2009 issue.
- Barthélemy Faye was profiled in the March 3-9, 2008 edition of The Deal highlighting the ways his “keen intellect” and background have allowed him to assist in bridging cultural gaps in Africa-related transactions.
- Tihir Sarkar was named one of The Lawyer’s “Hot 100” in its January 2008 issue.
- Paola Albano was nominated as best lawyer under 35 years old in the November 28, 2007 edition of TopLegal Awards.
- Cleary Gottlieb received the only “A” grade for diversity from Building a Better Legal Profession, a grassroots student group, as reported in the October 29, 2007 edition of The New York Times.
- Meme (Stowers) Peponis was noted as part of Wall Street’s next generation of dealmakers in the October 3, 2007 edition of The New York Times.
- Cleary Gottlieb was mentioned in the October 23, 2007 issue of The Advocate in an article regarding the best places to work.
- Gamal Abouali was profiled as a “Mover & Shaker” with his unique and extensive international experience highlighted in the November 7, 2005 edition of The Deal.
- An article in the July 25, 2005 edition of Legal Times on law firm sabbaticals includes partner Mark Leddy talking about the firm’s approach to work-life balance, which enabled him to take an around-the-world trip.
- Kimberly Brown Blacklow and Francesca (Lavin) Odell were quoted on their rise to partnership at Cleary Gottlieb in the June 2005 issue of Diversity & The Bar, a publication of the Minority Corporate Counsel Association.