Cleary Gottliebs internationale Steuerpraxis genießt weltweit einen ausgezeichneten Ruf und steht für Beratung auf höchstem Niveau sowie ein ausgeprägtes Verständnis für besonders komplexe Unternehmenstransaktionen. Die Fähigkeit unserer Anwältinnen und Anwälte, kreative steuerliche Lösungen und grenzüberschreitende Innovationen zu entwickeln, wird von Mandanten und Wettbewerbern gleichermaßen anerkannt. Dabei genießen insbesondere unser Qualitätsanspruch sowie unsere strategischen Konzepte für Finanzinstrumente und Unternehmensstrukturen allgemeine Wertschätzung. Wir konzentrieren uns auf die praktischen Bedürfnisse unserer Mandanten und bemühen uns, diese auch bei engen zeitlichen Vorgaben optimal umzusetzen.
Weitere Informationen »
- Counsel on tax matters in recent public M&A deals, including Google in its $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility; SABMiller in its $12.3 billion acquisition of Foster’s Group; Kindred Healthcare in its $1.3 billion acquisition of RehabCare; Stanley Black & Decker in its $1.2 billion offer to acquire all outstanding stock and warrants of Niscayah; Alpha Natural Resources in its $8.5 billion acquisition of Massey Energy; BHP Billiton in its $40 billion all-cash offer to acquire PotashCorp; Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group in its acquisition by Hertz Global Holdings valued at $2.3 billion; the special committee of the board of directors of Interactive Data in the leveraged buyout of the company by a private equity consortium; TPG in its leveraged acquisition of IMS Health; FEMSA in its strategic exchange of its beer operations for shares of Heineken; and Hewlett-Packard in its acquisitions of 3PAR, 3Com and EDS.
- International counsel to Greece on the tax law aspects of its February 24, 2012 exchange of €206 billion face value of Greek bonds held by private sector creditors, which represents the largest-ever sovereign debt restructuring.
- Counsel in private equity fund formation, including TPG Opportunities Advisers in the formation of TPG Opportunities Partners II, TPG in the formation of TPG Growth II, Victoria Capital Partners in the formation of Victoria South American Partners II and Helios Investment Partners in the formation of Helios Investors II.
- Counsel to Conversus Capital in the $1.4 billion sale of its portfolio of third party private equity fund interests to HarbourVest Partners and agreement to acquire Conversus Asset Management for $42.5 million.
- Counsel to General Mills in connection with its acquisition of Yoki Alimentos.
- Counsel to Bank of America Merrill Lynch in the sale of its non-U.S. wealth management business to Julius Baer Group.
- Counsel to TPG in a $1.7 billion acquisition and recapitalization with Leonard Green & Partners of Savers.
- Counsel to two consortiums of leading swap dealers in connection with the establishment by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange of a credit default swap clearing facility and an interest rate swap clearing facility.
- Counsel to OneWest Bank in the formation of a prepaid debit card program with June Bug Enterprises, an entity affiliated with Earvin “Magic” Johnson.
- Counsel to The Hartford Financial Services Group in connection with a $2.5 billion capital investment by Allianz.
- Counsel to BNP Paribas, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, Deutsche Bank, Bank of America, Barclays, JP Morgan and other major investment banks on tax issues relating to a wide range of capital markets and derivatives transactions.
- Counsel to Credit Suisse on U.S. tax aspects of a €2 billion offering of buffer capital notes, in novel form in response to anticipated Swiss bank capital regulations, and in the filing of a shelf for future contingent capital offerings in the United States.
- Counsel to Lafarge on tax aspects of its 50:50 joint venture with Anglo American to combine their U.K. cement, aggregates, ready-mixed concrete, asphalt and contracting businesses.
- Counsel to Sodiaal, the French leading dairy cooperative group, in the acquisition and debt restructuring of Entremont Alliance under the aegis of two governmental bodies in charge of facilitating the negotiations among the various parties involved, leading to the creation of a major actor in the milk industry.
- Counsel to taxpayers in several substantial pending tax controversies, including obtaining a favorable Internal Revenue Service appeals settlement in a significant matter.
- Counsel to American Express in its $660 million acquisition of Loyalty Partner, the operator of the PAYBACK customer loyalty program, from Palamon Capital Partners.
- Counsel to Nortel Networks and related subsidiaries in connection with its reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, as well as under insolvency statutes in Canada, the United Kingdom, France and Israel. Also counsel to Nortel in its Section 363 bankruptcy auction divestiture sales and in negotiations for the settlement of U.S. federal income tax claims with the Internal Revenue Service, as well as for the settlement with the IRS and the Canadian tax authorities of a multibillion-dollar transfer pricing dispute.
Leading International Tax Practice in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States
International Tax Review's “World Tax” (2012)
North America Tax Firm of the Year
International Tax Review (2011)
North America Media & Entertainment Tax Firm of the Year
International Tax Review (2011)
Tax Firm of the Year
Chambers USA (2011)
New York Tax Firm of the Year
International Tax Review (2007, 2008 and 2009)
“Sources have high praise for this firm’s work on cross-border tax mandates. It has an exceptional reputation for its US offering, while an impressive European practice comprises teams in Frankfurt, London and Rome. ‘Strong in the USA and globally.’”
Chambers Global (2013)
“This international goliath has a domestic and global reputation for financial products, taxation issues and M&A work, which sees it placed in the very top tier of US corporate tax firms. The group continues to adapt and evolve according to the new challenges presented by ever-changing domestic and international legislation.
‘Always professional and proactive in their analysis and services. They always seem to be one step ahead of the process.’ ‘Absolutely world-class. A top-notch firm with some of the smartest lawyers in the city.’”
Chambers USA (2013)
“This compact team continues to impress market observers by pulling in a variety of high-profile mandates. The team also represents corporates and individuals in a number of tax litigation files. ‘An efficient and proactive team, it's really on the ball.’”
Chambers Europe (2013)
“This high-quality U.S. firm has a strong practice in Europe, and is widely respected for its in-depth expertise in multi-jurisdictional transactions. International M&A is at the heart of its tax practice, with additional expertise in tax controversy. ‘A broad practice with a very international approach.’ ‘They do a lot of international work, and they can do it in-house.’”
Chambers Global (2012)
“This excellent group has an established reputation for financial products work, and also offers superior counsel on M&A, corporate restructuring, capital markets, regulatory matters and tax controversies. Clients are quick to praise its strong ties with government decision-makers, and its subsequent strength in legislative matters. … ‘It continues to be a very strong, diversified and well-rounded team.’”
Chambers USA (2012)
“This U.S. outfit is well versed on international tax aspects of cross-border acquisitions and joint ventures, and runs a highly respected tax planning consultancy for financial services companies as well as other multinationals. It also has experience in the ever-growing field of tax litigation, as European governments and tax authorities seek to ensure maximum tax revenue. ‘It has some really top-notch tax people in continental Europe and the UK.’”
Chambers Europe (2012)
“Providing ‘excellent’ service, Cleary Gottlieb’s New York tax department is the equal of the firm’s market leading structured finance and derivatives practice. The team advises a number of major financial institutions and investment banks in relation to a wide range of capital markets and derivatives transactions, including matters involving credit default swaps, convertible bonds, hybrid debt securities and loan swaps.”
The Legal 500 U.S. (2012)
“With an undisputed leading practice in the USA, Cleary’s tax group is also in demand in Europe due to its excellent international transactional record. … The lawyers are experienced in providing advice related to financial products, as well as handling challenging cross-border corporate transactions. ‘We would go to them consistently because they deliver such high-quality work. … Experience is the team’s strongest quality.’”
Chambers Global (2011)