Having established an environmental practice in the early 1970s, Cleary Gottlieb offers invaluable perspective on the complexities of environmental laws and helps clients assess the current and developing environmental issues that impact businesses today. We help companies in virtually every line of business and in every corner of the world evaluate and manage environmental liabilities and legal requirements.
We work with our global clients on environmental, health and safety matters in a broad array of settings and regularly coordinate our efforts with technical experts. By tracking legal developments and evolving business practices, we are well positioned to advise clients not only on their substantive legal obligations and liabilities, but also on strategies for managing compliance programs and minimizing liabilities.
Our environmental lawyers coordinate with other practice areas to assist clients with:
- Assessment and management of environmental liabilities in corporate and financial transactions.
- Environmental reporting and securities disclosure obligations.
- Regulatory compliance with major environmental programs.
- Representation in civil, criminal and administrative proceedings.
- Management of complicated risk and liability assessments and other technical matters, including site remediation activities and chemical use and registration requirements.
Our Washington, D.C. and European offices work together to advise clients on multi-jurisdictional programs that affect the daily operations and business strategies of multinational corporations. In both the United States and Europe, we evaluate and comment upon the potential impact of proposed rules, develop submissions to various agencies on regulatory matters, and represent companies seeking exclusions or exemptions from restrictive requirements.