Benet J. O'Reilly is a partner based in the New York office.
Mr. O'Reilly's practice focuses on public and private mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments and restructuring transactions, with significant experience across a broad array of industries, including technology, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals and healthcare. He also has experience in cross-border transactions and securities offerings.
Mr. O'Reilly was recognized by Law360
as one of five “rising stars” in M&A in 2013 and one of ten "rising stars" in corporate finance in 2010. He has also been recognized as a leading M&A lawyer by The Legal 500 U.S.
Mr. O'Reilly's recent technology and telecommunications experience includes representation of:
- SMSC in its sale to Microchip Technologies and prior acquisition of BridgeCo;
- Stanley Black & Decker in its acquisition of AeroScout;
- Hewlett-Packard in its acquisitions of 3PAR, 3Com, EDS, Opsware, Neoware, Knightsbridge Solutions and Peregrine Systems;
- VeriSign in the sale of its authentication business to Symantec;
- CVCI in its acquisition of Ness Technologies;
- TPG Capital and Goldman Sachs Capital Partners in their acquisition of Alltel Corporation and subsequent sale of Alltel to Verizon Wireless; and
- PeopleSoft in responding to Oracle's unsolicited tender offer and in the negotiation of PeopleSoft's acquisition at a price 65% above Oracle's initial bid.
Mr. O'Reilly's recent pharmaceuticals and healthcare experience includes representation of:
- GlaxoSmithKline in its acquisitions of Human Genome Sciences, Stiefel Laboratories, Reliant Pharmaceuticals and Genelabs and investments in Theravance;
- Kindred Healthcare in its acquisition of RehabCare;
- Morgan Stanley as a financial advisor in Quest's acquisition of Celera; and
- RxHub in its merger with SureScripts.
Mr. O'Reilly's recent private equity and other select experience includes representation of:
- CVCI in its investment in and recapitalization of SourceHOV;
- Lafarge in the sale of cement plants and related assets to Eagle Materials and Cementos Argos;
- ACON Investments and TPG Capital in their acquisition of a refinery and related downstream assets from Marathon Oil to form Northern Tier Energy;
- TPG Capital in its investment in Creative Artists Agency;
- thinkorswim Group in its cash/stock merger with TD Ameritrade;
- The Coca-Cola Company in the restructuring of its joint venture with Nestlé in the tea beverage business and its acquisition of bottling operations in Vietnam and Cambodia from Coca-Cola Sabco; and
- The Home Depot in various acquisitions, including of Hughes Supply and White Cap Construction Supply.
Mr. O'Reilly joined the firm in 1999 and became a partner in 2008. He received a J.D. degree, magna cum laude
, from New York University School of Law in 1999 and an undergraduate degree, with honors, from the University of Chicago in 1995.
Mr. O'Reilly is a member of the Bar in New York. His native language is English, and he is proficient in French.