We believe that diversity, inclusiveness and respect among lawyers and staff members are essential values that strengthen Cleary Gottlieb. As a diverse and inclusive firm, we can more effectively serve a broad range of clients and enable our lawyers to grow through the creativity, talents and perspectives contributed by people of different backgrounds and experiences.
Cleary Gottlieb strives to promote diversity and inclusion across the firm. To this end, the Committee on Diversity and Inclusion has embraced the following goals:
- To foster a work environment that welcomes different perspectives, backgrounds and life experiences and ensures that no one’s professional growth, experience or advancement is limited because of gender, race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity or expression, age or any category protected by law;
- To increase awareness of the importance of diversity and how it enriches the firm by organizing presentations, speakers and other events;
- To encourage all lawyers and staff members to develop mutual respect and appreciation for different perspectives and backgrounds;
- To develop and implement strategies to assist the firm and its committees in recruiting, retaining and advancing lawyers from diverse backgrounds and assist the Recruiting Committee in its efforts to promote diversity in the hiring process;
- To establish procedures for measuring the firm's success in attracting, retaining and advancing lawyers from diverse backgrounds and to assist the Associates Committee in its efforts to sustain a diverse group of lawyers through comprehensive mentoring and review processes; and
- To evaluate Cleary Gottlieb's existing policies affecting diversity and, with the firm and its committees, to develop and implement new policies that further promote a diverse workplace.