For years, our firm has served as regular counsel to pulp and paper companies in many countries, and has extensive experience with transactions in the industry. Through our years of experience, we have acquired a comprehensive understanding of the industry and its specific business and legal issues.
Given the global nature of this industry, our clients rely on the firm’s network of 16 closely integrated offices on four continents. With clients in Asia, North America, South America and Europe, our lawyers regularly represent all parties in the pulp and paper industry on an array of corporate, environmental, regulatory and dispute resolution matters. We bring a unique cross-border perspective when helping clients develop transaction structures for mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, project financings and international debt and equity offerings.
Practice highlights include:
- Counsel to the ad hoc creditors committee of Aracruz Celulose S.A. in the restructuring of over $3 billion of derivative and bilateral bank debt.
- Counsel to Stora Enso Oyj in the leveraged sale of Stora Enso North America to NewPage, a portfolio company of Cerberus Capital Management, as well as in its split-off of Corenso. We also represented Stora Enso Oyj in its previous €4 billion acquisition of Consolidated Papers Inc.
- Counsel to Albany International Corp. in the $130 million sale of its Albany Door Systems division to ASSA ABLOY AB.
- Counsel to the Anglo-French paper group Arjo Wiggins Appleton in several matters, including winning an appeal before the European Court of First Instance in a dispute over a fine imposed for alleged price-fixing and market-sharing in the carbonless paper sector.
- Counsel to Shanghai-based Sateri International in the $350 million project financing for the expansion of the Bahia Pulp Mill in Brazil.
- Counsel to Ahlstrom Corporation in various matters, including its €200 million IPO of ordinary shares on the Helsinki Stock Exchange.
- Counsel to Zellstoff Stendal in its more than €1 billion financing of a pulp mill—one of the largest-ever industrial project financings in Germany.
- Counsel to Copamex, Mexico's leading producer of paper products, in its expansion of a strategic partnership with European paper company Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget.